Saturday, March 13, 2010

Not yet sworn in

When Louise Miglionico told me that Bob Penniman requested two "Write-in Kim Mercer" lawn signs, I was more than a little surprised. I hadn't thought he was a real fan of David Villeneuve necessarily, but I wouldn't have thought that he'd endorse me outright for his seat. I began to think we had a very good shot at winning.

From the VLCT Selectboard Handbook, Chapter 3 - "Conflicts of Interest and Incompatible Offices":
The proper operation of democratic government requires that public officials be independent, impartial, and responsible to the people; that government decisions and policy be made in proper channels of government structure; that public office not be used for personal gain and the public have confidence in the integrity of its government.
So there's that, of course.

During my time as the Assistant to the Town Administrator (2006-2008) I took the minutes for dozens of SB and DRB meetings and I watched quietly from the corner as David Villeneuve worked to get what he wanted out of Town Hall. When I saw on the ballot that he was running unopposed for the board, I was worried about our other two selectpersons: that they might be hassled and aggravated; that they would be required to expend endless energy to maintain the board's integrity; that the board would struggle constantly to prevent discussions and decisions that might contain conflicts of interest.

I tried to convince a number of other people in town--people who are competent and honest--to run as a write-in, but the effort was futile.

I was thinking that I might become one of the town's watchdogs, monitoring meetings and diligently studying the minutes of each meeting. If I was going to be appearing at Town Hall every 1st and 3rd Thursday nights to keep a vigil, I might as well throw my line into the river and see if there would be a nibble.

No comments:

Post a Comment