Thursday, September 9, 2010

Crumbling Foundation


Most folks in town have probably heard about the Community Center's plight. The foundation is crumbling, consequently the non-profit that operates this formerly public building is conducting a fundraising campaign to pay for the repairs.

Here is more information about the project - http://communitycenterinjericho.wordpress.com/

There is a precedent for the Selectboard to allot monies toward community projects. Two years ago the board assigned $2,000 toward the playground overhaul at Jericho Elementary. I am told that there were a number of other gifts in this realm.

From what I've witnessed, the support for the community center is mostly coming from residents in Jericho Center (see/sign the petition to support this effort). So, I'd especially like to hear from Jericho residents who live in other parts of town.

My question for you is this: do you support your taxes being spent on this project? If so, what amount is acceptable?

2 comments:

  1. HI Kim,
    I live on Rt. 15 near Jolley and I support the use of tax money to maintain the Community Center. I only use the JCC once or twice per year, but it has value to me beyond the amount of time that I'm actually using it. It's an old building. It has historical significance and ALOT of people (myself included about 20 years ago) have put ALOT volunteer time and energy into getting the building usable and then trying to maintain it as best possible. So, I am definitely a non-Jericho Center supporter of the building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim,
    I support the use of property tax monies for the work on the foundation at the Community Center. My only question is what won't get funded if this money is put to use at the Community Center? What program gets short changed?

    ReplyDelete